Sport & adventure
If you are keen on sport or adventure, Cringles House provides many choices, and has four golf courses within a ten minute drive, and a riding school and other activities close-by, including shooting, bowling, swimming and climbing.
Bring your golf clubs to Cringles House, as there are several courses nearby which cater for visitors:
- Bracken Ghyll Golf Club (1.6 miles), pictured above, where visitors and visiting parties are welcome. A well-kept, good value course and friendly club, you are encouraged to review the course map.
- Silsden Golf Club (1.6 miles) – 5,062 yards Parkland course, Silsden Golf Club is situated on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales within 2 miles of Cringles House. With spectacular views of the Aire Valley, Silsden GC is a good test for the experienced golfer and a great place for the inexperienced golfer to hone their skills. The tranquil playing atmosphere and friendliness of members is what attracts golfer to Silsden GC.
- Ilkley Golf Club (3.5 miles) – Ilkley is one of the most popular golf clubs for visitors in Yorkshire and as soon as you arrive you will be made to feel extremely welcome by their professional John Hammond and his team. Reduced rates apply after 6pm.
- Skipton Golf Club (4.5 miles) – visitors never fail to be impressed by the beauty of Skipton’s setting and the challenge that the course presents. From the seemingly innocuous opening Par 3 1st Hole to the challenge of Skipton’s very own “Amen Corner” comprising 13, 14 and 15, the course offers golfers of every standard a test of their golfing skills.
- The area is very popular with cyclists, and Cringles Lane and Addingham Moorside provide both on and off road riding experiences.
- The 2014 Tour de France passed by Cringles House on Bolton Road, as did the 2015 Tour De Yorkshire.
- There is a lockable garage where you can keep your bicycles (by prior arrangement).
- Horse riding at Draughton Riding Centre (2 miles). Draughton Riding Centre is a licensed, friendly, family run equestrian centre which is approved by the British Horse Society and offers BHS qualified tuition. The Riding Centre caters for both children and adults of all ages and capabilities, and offer group, private, lunge and jumping lessons together with hacking.
- For a slightly different experience, you may wish to head over to the picturesque Nidderdale valley and try Llama trekking.
Rock climbing and abseiling
- Lost Earth Adventures can arrange one or half day climbing courses for private groups in nearby Ilkley on the Cow and Calf rocks (5 miles) or at Brimham Rocks near Harrogate.
- Go underground at Stump Cross Caverns (14 miles), which is one of Britain’s premier show caves, located in Nidderdale on the border of the Yorkshire Dales National Park. They are a site of special scientific interest (SSSI) and is home to some amazing natural formations. The Caverns offer a range of facilities for a great family day out, including a gift shop with a great selection of crystals and fossils.
- Try your hand at clay pigeon shooting at Kelbrook Shooting School (10 miles). We advise you to book early as they are busy during the summer months.
- You may wish to try Ten-pin bowling at Matrix Superbowl in Skipton.
- If the weather is good you can enjoy Ilkley Lido which was opened in 1935, or if you want to swim inside try Craven Swimming Pool.
Land Rover Experience
- Are you ready to see what a Land Rover can do? And are you looking to develop your driving skills to a more advanced level both On and Off road in either a 4×4 or ATV? If so, then you’re very welcome at Land Rover Experience, North Yorkshire (10 miles).
- Travel by barge on the Leeds Liverpool Canal (6 miles). You can rent a boat for the day or go on a 30 minute trip.
- Lightwater Valley Theme Park (33 miles) – for those wanting thrills, within a one hour drive, there is Lightwater Valley Theme Park offering a variety of exciting rides, as well as interesting exhibits. There are activities for all ages, and you may wish to bring a picnic. The journey there takes you through historic Ripon.