Towns and villages
There are many interesting villages and towns close to Cringles House, with a variety of activities available, rain or shine. These include –
- Ilkley (6 miles) – A great place to shop and eat, with something for everyone. Ilkley’s spa town history, Victorian architecture, wide streets and floral displays make it a popular location to visit .
The Ilkley Playhouse is dedicated to the presentation of live amateur theatre and other arts activities within the community. It also hosts community arts events such as the Ilkley Film Society and the Ilkley Literature Festival. Alan Titchmarh’s article from the Telegraph provides some useful tips to getting the most out of Ilkley.
Ilkley Cinema is a small boutique cinema with Ultra HD 4k projector and 7.1 surround sound. There is a bar lounge and sofa seating.
- Skipton (6 miles) – voted the best town in England to live in recently. Skipton has many historical attractions, including the medieval Castle, as well as a popular high street. You can also enjoy a leisurely trip on a barge on the canal .
- Haworth (8 miles) – offers a chance to explore the world of the famous literary family the Brontes in this famous village, including the Parsonage where they lived. Lonely Planet gives some useful advice on spending an enjoyable time in Howarth.
- Grassington (10 miles) – a historic market town in upper Wharfedale, Grassington has stunning views, a beautiful market square, quirky shops and friendly pubs. The Dickensian Festival provides an interesting experience for those visiting in December.
- Clitheroe (2o miles) – the ancient market town of Clitheroe in the Ribble Valley is a perfect place from which to explore Lancashire’s Forest of Bowland, one of England’s 36 Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB). Clitheroe actually dates back to Saxon times so by the time the imposing 12th century Norman Castle that towers over the town had been built
- Harrogate (21 miles) – a sophisticated Victorian spa town filled with boutique shopping and upmarket restaurants. This article from the Daily Mail gives some good tips on making the most of this interesting town.
You may also wish to visit the beautiful Turkish Baths and Spa to unwind.
- Leeds (22 miles) – Big city shopping and dining. Also home to The Royal Armouries, which has over 8,500 objects on display throughout five galleries. The Guardian’s guide to Leeds may give you some ideas on making the most of your trip to Leeds.